Thursday, October 28, 2010

So Long GT Mountain Bike!

I parted ways with my 17 year-old GT Mountain Bike yesterday when I dropped it off at City Bikes to be donated to the Bikes for the World program. This bike, which brought me so much joy as an adolescent, will now *hopefully* bring excitement to someone in need across the globe.

It also got me thinking about the history of the bike…I remember my Dad taking me to the local Schwinn store in Bowie (yes, an actual Schwinn store!) to find a new bike. We left with this shiny red mountain bike, which at the time felt massive to me. It was my first serious bike and I was very proud to be its new owner. I spent countless hours on this bike exploring and riding around my neighborhood, riding to the pool, and riding to friend’s houses. At my neighborhood park, a group of boys built a BMX course in the woods and I would ride it back there and go over the humps and some of the jumps (ha, I thought I was tough!). If I wasn’t at home, I was on my bike almost every late afternoon after school. This bike was a great source of independence and I loved every minute of it!

I know it will be used mostly as a mode of transportation for its new owner, but I also hope it provides some fun!

http://www.bikesfortheworld.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment