Monday, October 25, 2010

Volunteering

Nothing gives me more pleasure than helping others. I recently became even more involved with volunteering in my community, and I feel great about it!
On Sunday, I put my cooking skills to good use by helping to prepare food for over 200 homeless men and women in my neighborhood. We then served the meals, which allowed us to interact with the guests. I look forward to volunteering with Loaves and Fishes on more Sunday afternoons. Earlier this month, I volunteered with Prevention Works, and helped put together condom kits and medical kits for distribution. Soon I hope to complete the training to be part of the outreach team that distributes the kits at night.
The District not only has the highest rate of HIV/AIDS in the nation, but also has the highest rate of homelessness.  Non-profits in our Nation’s Capital need help more than ever to curb these staggering rates. It’s our civic duty to give back to the community in which we live – get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment